Friday, January 25, 2008

Surprise, Surprise!!


As I was scrolling through ESPN.com today, I found a new column written by Bill Simmons. And guess what???? It's another Boston column! What a surprise.


Now, there was a time, probably 2-3 years ago when I would get very excited when his columns came out, word would get around the office that it was posted and trading would pretty much stop for the next 10 minutes to read it and 20 more after that to talk about it. It was good stuff, every time. There was a great mix of sports, pop culture, current events, The Real World, Boston, mailbags, TV, and draft/game/award show journals. Very, very good stuff. But over the last year or so these once great columns have become very bland and very Boston.


But alright, I get it, he's from Boston, they've been on the most improbable stretches of sports greatness in recent memory. And if the Cleveland ever went on a stretch like this, I may be the same way. But the big difference is that I write a blog that probably nobody reads and he writes for ESPN. I'm actually surprised his editors let him get away with as many Boston articles as he pumps out. Whatever.


Enough about that, the Great Mike Alstott has retired from football and there are a couple of great runs against IU posted here. I have some great memories of those horrible teams he played on at Purdue. He retires as the Bucs all time leader in TDs. Not to mention he was like Kevin Mack from the original Tecmo Bowl when would-be tacklers would bounce off him.


And the Boilers have a huge test tomorrow when the no. 11 ranked Badgers come to town. Tip off is at 3 Central and it's on ESPN, so if you don't have the Big Ten Network you are in luck, but I have a feeling it's not going to be in HD, so that blows, I guess I will deal. The Badgers only have 2 losses, Duke and Marquette, so if Purdue can pull this one out, the tourney voters may forget about the horrible loss to Wofford earlier this season. And by the way, Wisconsin beat Wofford by 27 in December. Let's hope the hot shooting continues, this would be a huge victory for the Boilers.

No comments: