Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Unemployment Blues

Since I have unfortunately become unemployed in the last month, I tend to look around and see what it is about me that makes me unemployable. I can't really figure it out. But as I am searching around, I see people in places, with jobs, and I have no idea how they are where they are. I have a couple of examples of this.

First is Hank Steinbrenner. And I know how he got to where he is now, his father George. But this guy has been the owner of the Yankees for about 2 months now, and he can't seem to keep his mouth shut. Apparently he feels it is necessary to open his trap and spew out whatever he feels no matter how ridiculous it sounds. "...I'm the owner of the Yankees by no work of my own, therefore I can say what I want and EVERYBODY must listen!!!" And his most recent effort, he makes the comment implying that the D-Rays should not try or feel emotion until they start contributing to the league financially. What???? How idiotic is this? If he were born to anybody other than George, where would he be now?

Next is Joe Lunardi. He does all of the bracketology columns on ESPN.com. He's on SportsCenter, probably on PTI and all of the other shows that ESPN has in the afternoon. What is the significance of this guys' job? If he's wrong, who cares?? If he's right, who cares?? He's not writing columns for a newspaper reporting on how teams do, he just says who is going to make the tourney and who is not. Does his opinion matter? No. Is he part of the selection committee? No. ESPN keeps reporting, on every timeout/commercial break/halftime show that Illinois State, OSU, and 2 other teams, I don't remember right now, are the first 4 that are going to miss the tourney. Does his opinion really matter? Absolutely not. About a week ago, he had UAB making the tourney. First of all, they don't have a chance at it, but it doesn't really matter, the selection committee takes no stock into what he says. Anybody can do his job, it doesn't matter if he's wrong or right. What a great gig. He gets to watch college basketball and put together a bracket every week that really doesn't matter diddly-squat. That's it. Wonder what he does for the other 7 months of the year.

The next one, and the biggest offender of this is Mel Kiper. This guy watches all the college football you can handle and reports on who is going to get drafted and what position they are going to get drafted. Do NFL teams really care about his opinion?? No. Do I really care what the 6th ranked LB in the draft is??? No. I love college football and NFL football. But I really could not care any less about this guy's opinion. He sits there with the rest of the ESPN crew on draft day and talks about the picks. Anybody can do this. And again, if he's wrong, nobody cares. And from recent history, he's usually wrong, but what does it really matter??? It doesn't. But the real crime here is that he sells 5 draft books each year. You can get all of them for somewhere around $70. I think there's a free agent book, draft book, his opinions book, and 2 other useless publications. All of his stuff on ESPN.com is on the Insider. And I've often in the weeks before the draft wondered, "...oh man, who's the Browns going to take in the 2nd round with the 47th pick?? I sure wish I had Insider so I could see who Kiper thinks the Browns needs??" But you know what remedied that thought??? Wait 2 f'n weeks and see who the Browns take with that pick. Why would anybody in their right mind pony up the cash to see what this guy thinks? It's a joke.

And I can't find a job??

No comments: