Friday, February 22, 2008

Gauntlet III Update


There is no Purdue game this week, I don’t feel like talking about the IU game, and Kelvin Sampson’s ugly mug must be taken down from this blog. Given all of that, I think it’s time to discuss the Gauntlet III on MTV.

For starters, the “Real World Challenge” (I have dropped the Road Rules portion of that since they haven’t had one in a decade) is by far my favorite show on TV. Assume all the shows I watch in a week have been recorded and I can choose to watch them all in any order, I am picking the “Challenge” first.

Now, the Gauntlet is by far my least favorite “flavor” of the Challenges. The others being “The Duel” and “The Inferno”. The reason I dislike the Gauntlet is that the ending challenge always pins two people from the same team against each other rather than two people from opposing teams. What this leaves you with is off balanced numbers on each team and then the challenges get weird. The final challenge sometimes has 7 against 15, which is stupid.

Nevertheless, who cares about the format because we really watch this to see the drama surrounding these horny job-less 25 year olds who have emerged to D-Level celebrities. It’s the best.

I want to discuss this week’s ridiculous episode and then in a future blog, I will comment on several of the characters.

The Veterans are kicking serious ass. In fact, it occurred to me this week that we might see the entire format of the show blow up in the producers face and that has intrigued me. You see, the Veteran Men cannot lose. So….each week we keep seeing a Rookie Male get eliminated. After this week there are NOW only FOUR males left on the Rookies. There are four episodes left until the final challenge. We might very well see 0 men remaining for the Rookies. That would be fantastic. Preceding that event, would be a Gauntlet where the losing Rookie male would have NO ONE to go up against.

I am sure the producers figured both teams would “at least” lose 2-3 matches so this would not ever be a problem. Well. Nope. It is.

Things were made even worse this week as the Rookie’s top male Derrick was eliminated in a hysterical series of events. I will recap. The Rookies still have ONE useless male on their team. Ryan, the homosexual, who weighs a 125 pounds soaking wet and has no business on this show with the rest of the beefcakes is terrible. He was unable to be protected, so he became the logical choice to take on Derrick (who was sent to the Gauntlet by the Veterans).

As I am watching this, I say to my wife Polly, “wow….Ryan is going to get his ASS KICKED unless the challenge is a puzzle”. This is a factual statement as Derrick would destroy him in Ball Brawl (a football like challenge) or in the reverse tug of war thing or any other physical event.

Ryan’s only hope is a challenge that involves brains rather than physical size. Re-read that sentence.

So they spin the wheel and it lands on the puzzle. Oooooooooh, we are indeed going to have a match. But wait, the best part of the entire season ensues. The camera turns to Ryan and he is pissed.

He comments to the camera “Anything but the puzzle….I am terrible at puzzles”.

After I picked my jaw up from the ground I tried to comprehend this statement by this moron. The only fucking chance this dude has is a puzzle. I would pay $300 to know what the hell event he was rooting for, AND how the hell he thought he would have a chance in said event? This ass clown should have been jumping up and down.

Nevertheless…..Ryan wins. Wow. The Rookie’s best player sent home. They have 4 males (really 3.5 if you accurately assess Ryan’s value). And this is when it occurred to me that with 4 episodes left, the Veterans will now be winning every challenge due to the depleted rookie team….potentially leaving them with no males.

Not much to comment on the females. It was Coral versus Beth. They both are annoying. Beth went home. She’s terrible however, I did feel sorry for her for the first time ever. I did not know this but she is 39 years old. Shitballs? Anyway, the other 22-25 year old losers on the show are always calling her “grandma” and “fat”. Well….if she’s 39, she’s actually not fat. I would not call her skinny, but she sure as shitfire ain’t fat for someone who is 40. Think of all the 40 year olds you know? Anyway, she should bring that up the next time these 22 year old idiots call her fat.

Awesome stuff. Let’s continue to watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great recap! Can't wait to see your input on tonight's episode. I love the fact that the Austin clique is finally being broken down.