Thursday, March 13, 2008

Big 10 Tourney Starts Today!

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that Purdue would be a #2 seed in the Big 10 tourney, I would have called you crazy. But here we are! After back to back losses at home to Wofford and Iowa State in December, I was ready to send Matt Painter packing. How wrong was I??? Now we're the #2 seed!
This group of Freshmen has really come together to play some very exciting basketball. I have to think the fact they played together in High School/AAU ball has something to do with this. The more chemistry a team has together, the better they are going to be. They are going to win games they should not, which would explain 2 wins against Wisconsin. The squabbles for PT is probably at a minimum. They probably get along better off the court than your usual group of 5 freshmen. And the adjustment to college is probably a little easier knowing that they have each other to lean on. I have to think that all of this has something to do with the success of these freshmen this season.

Anyhow, looking forward to the games today. It starts out at noon Eastern with Michigan and Iowa playing. And the winner facing Wisconsin tomorrow. I see Michigan winning this one. They seemed to be playing some better basketball ending the season, they put up a pretty good fight against the Boilers in the final game of the season.

Next on the plate is Penn State against Illinois at about 2:30. Penn State is coming off a big win against IU. Sure IU is in shambles right now, but a win is a win. I see Penn State coming together and pulling this one out. Illinois is just atrotious this season. Just make the misery end. Didn't these guys go to the Final Four a couple of years ago???

And the final game of the day is Minnesota against Northwestern. I don't see the Wildcats pulling this one out, they won 1 conference game this season, I don't see them making it 2 today.
The Boilers play tomorrow at 6:30 EST!

No comments: