Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I Think I Deserve A Raise


Josh Cribbs wants a raise. He had one good year, and now he wants a raise. He went from an undrafted free agent, to return man extraordinaire, to whiny, overpaid, athlete in the time span of 3 years.

So Cribbs was given a $5K signing bonus when he made the roster for the 2005 edition of the Browns. He was just happy to be playing. He performed, and came back for the 2006 squad. Again, played well, ran one kick for a TD. Started developing into a solid return guy. And was rewarded by signing a 6 year, $6 mil contract with the Browns. I'd call that loyalty?? Who wouldn't??

Then Cribbs has a huge 2007. Gets selected for the Pro Bowl. Electrifies fans. Brought back 2 kicks and 1 punt for TDs. Scared the hell out of opposing special teams coaches. And is now asking for a new, bigger contract. But he also claims that he's not goign to be a distraction and hold out for a new contract.

I just don't understand?? Call me naive or whatever, but I just don't understand why these athletes are the way they are. Yes, they have to strike when the iron is hot, but is a mil a year to return kicks not enough???

I don't know who is to blame. I'm sure the athletes are a part of it. TO, Chad Johnson... But in many cases, I'm sure it's the agents. Trying to make their payday. Cribbs gets a new agent and all of a sudden he wants a new contract? From what I've read about Cribbs, he seems like a pretty humble guy. He should be, he went undrafted and obviously worked his ass off to make the Browns and have the 2 seasons he had that led to the new contract.

But in the end, pick a side. If you want a new contract, sit out until you get it. If you don't, get out and play and shut your mouth.

But why have 1 good season and then become a whiny little overpaid athlete. Go out, play the game, and here's an idea... Win a fucking Super Bowl?? Give your team that chance to sign other players around you. One person does not win a Super Bowl.

Moving on to other Cleveland news, and greedy athletes. LeBron James has stated that he'd be interested in going over to Europe, Greece to be exact, to play for some team over there. For $50 Million a year. That's not a typo. $50 Million.

He's 23 years old right now. So when his contract is up in 2010, he's going to be 25. Say he plays over in Europe for 3 years, he's going to come back and be 28 and should be in the prime of his career and could concievably play another 10 years in the NBA. Play in Europe for 3 years at $50 million??? Who in their right mind would not do this???? Seriously?? $150 million for 3 years???? Hell yes I'd go over there for a couple of years.

I am a very loyal person. If I were in LeBron's shoes, there is no way I would leave Cleveland for New York, New Jersey, LA, Philly.... But offer up $150 Mil for 3 years? Should I find a house or is the club going to do that for me?

No comments: