Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Stirring Up Some Bad Memories


So I just got finished reading this article from ESPN.com, and if I wasn't having a bad day before reading it, I am now. Just thinking about what that scumbag Art Modell did to the City of Cleveland and the Browns Fans makes me want to get sick.

It starts out talking about Bill Belichick and how he learned a lot from being a miserable coach in Cleveland and then gets talking about Art. So we'll start from the beginning.

Belichick benched and later released Bernie Kosar. I really do not think much more needs to be said about that. Kosar was the savior of Cleveland in the mid-80's. Had remarkable performance after remarkable performance on the great Browns teams that went to the AFC Championships. Threw for almost 500 yards against the Jets in the first round of the playoffs in 86. The Monday night game against Miami. I can go on. Belichick had problems with Bernie because Bernie was very hard-headed, liked to change play calls, liked to audible, and liked to speak his mind. And if I remember correctly, Bernie's last play as a Cleveland Brown was a touchdown pass on an audible, in which he got benched for Vinny Testaverde. 2 years later, Testaverde was benched for Eric Zeier. Yep, Eric Zeier...

Yes, it's frustrating to watch the success of the Patriots with Belichick at the helm. It's really amazing how great of a job he's done, particularly how well he's done since both Crennel and Weis have left him. I think Crennel is a great coach for the Browns, and I think Weis is a fat moron that thinks he's much smarter than he really is. What he has done at ND is really amazing! But that's for another day.

I'm already a little worked up about Coach Bill, but then we get to Modell. I really don't even know where to start?? In the process of running the team into the ground, the decided that Andre Rison was the one who was going to lead the Browns the the promised land. Yes, the same Andre Rison who had his house burned down by his girlfriend. Apparently Modell had to go all over the greater Cleveland area to find money to sign him. Rison ended up with career lows in every statistical category. And there's also this little nugget after a disappointing home loss to the Packers and after the move to Baltimore was announced. Rison was booed by the fans throughout the game, lashed out, stating, "We didn't make the fucking move. So, for all the booers, fuck you too. I'll be glad when we get to Baltimore, if that's the case. We don't have any home-field advantage. I've never been booed at home. Baltimore's our home. Baltimore, here we come." Great signing Art!!!

Then we get to the move. It was purely financial. Art was a mental midget when it came to business and ran one of the most successful franchises into the mud. He wanted to give the team to his equally mentally challenged son and didn't want him to have to pay the inheritance tax, Baltimore gave him a deal that he couldn't refuse, and say good-bye to the Browns in Cleveland.

I don't know for sure if this was the reason, but it's the reason I want to believe, so there it is..

And for the most ludicrous comment of the article. "...if Modell had it to do all over again, he would have likely offered the Browns job in 1991 not to Belichick, but to former Browns player and assistant coach Bill Cowher..." Oh really??? No kidding??? And if I had listened to the news this morning I would have brought my umbrella to work with me. And if I had known that cop was sitting in the middle of the highway, I wouldn't have tried to see exactly how fast my car can go. Or even, "...if I knew Tim Couch was going to blow, I probably wouldn't have drafted him with the first pick in 99..." How did this guy run a professional football franchise for this long??? Seriously?

But on a happy note, he had to sell his majority share of the Ravens and he's probably senile by now and hopefully nobody listens to him. He's been kept out of the Football Hall of Fame. First of all, he doesn't deserve to be in it after he did this to Cleveland, and second, some crazed Browns fan would probably take a shot at him when he was in Canton for the induction ceremony.

Ahhh, I feel a little better now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! Art Modell is an ass! Bill Belichek wouldn't be where he is today without the Browns, as is the same for many other Pro Bowl and Hall of Fame players who got their start at Cleveland. In all, this was a pretty good year for the Browns and 2008-2009 is looking even better!

RK said...

Yep, the Browns finally have a good amount of talent and a solid O-Line. If they can get some guys that can tackle and defend, I think we're in store for a real good season this fall!